Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Please Excuse this Interruption of your Regularly Scheduled Program for an Important Message from Our Sponsors:

Post 2 of 3.

A MONTAGE OF MY PETS!!

Please let me introduce you to the too-adorable-for-her-own-good puppy.  You're fortunate you're meeting her at a safe distance because she enjoys slobbering all over new acquaintances.  She was probably born in mid-December, and she goes by Fulana (or Lana, but only if you let her do all that slobbering).
Fulano and Fulana are the names that Paraguayans use when they're describing a situation that involved some anonymous person, and a filler name is needed.  For example, in English we might say, "If John or Jane wants to vote, they need to go register at such and such place..." but a Paraguayan would say Fulano o Fulana. Ajepa?




My first host mother, Gladys, knew that I was interested in a puppy, and gave me a call one day.  She said that somebody had left a litter of puppies on the side of the road by her house, and there was a little hembra I could come get if I was interested.  But of course! So she held onto Fulana for me for a few days until I could buy some dog food and come by to bike home with Fulana hanging from a cloth bag on my handlebars...and she's been che memby (my daughter) ever since!



My kitty! Named....you guessed it...Fulano :)  You may imagine the confused reactions I get when I share my pets' names... because no one is ever actually named Fulano or Fulana.  But usually the confusion is followed by laughter...usually.




Fulano (you may call him Fu) explaining to me that it is, in fact, his backpack.
He was born in mid-November, to the cat of another volunteer living in Pilar.



Tensions were high when I first brought Fulana home to meet Fulano...but they were more similar than they thought...



Fulano checking out the strange newbie from a safe vantage point.


It's hard to resist a good stick.


So...getting a cat, dog, and new house all in the same week might have been a questionable decision...but it all worked out in the end...
Fulano's new favorite game is chasing around the end of Fulana's leash, and Fulana enjoys licking Fulano's face...and everyone loves some good spooning.


 

1 comment: